– 16 oz. raw cauliflower or pre-riced cauliflower (Trader Joe’s)
– 1 small container salsa – I use Trader Joe’s Chunky Salsa which has plenty of salt so you will not need to add your own!
– 1 cup chopped carrots, 1 cup chopped white or red onion, 1 cup chopped celery (Trader Joes’s has a Mirepoix mix so you don’t have to do this yourself!)
– 1/2 to 1 cup cut white mushrooms (I cut mine in thirds probably otherwise you’ll lose the flavor)
– 1-5 tsp. fresh cumin (to your taste/preference)
– ½ – 1 tbl. garlic powder, could also use fresh chopped garlic (3 cloves or so)
– 2ish tsp. of chipotle or chili powder if you like spice
– 1-2 tbls. extra virgin olive oil (or avocado, coconut)
– 1 large egg and 1 egg white
– Fresh cilantro for garnish (a lot of it!)
– Avocado to pair with once cooled”
It’s super easy to make once you have all the ingredients ready to go!
Time To Cook:
- Rice your cauliflower in food processor if you have one, or set pre-riced bag aside
- Turn pan on medium-low heat, and add oil
- Add carrot/celery/onion mix and sauté for a couple minutes; let it soften but not cook all the way
- Add mushrooms and sauté for a few minutes (the larger the pieces, the longer they’ll take to cook but the mushrooms offer a decent amount of water/moisture so they help saturate the other veggies)
- Stir in cauliflower and all the spices!
- Mix until everything is well blended and keep checking every few minutes. Will take a bit of time to get everything cooked, but keep under medium heat so nothing burns or overcooks to mush
- Spices – play with these based on your liking, I don’t measure any of my spices so it comes out slightly different each time
- Once the rice is almost fully cooked based on your preferred texture, form a hole in the middle of the pan and crack in egg and egg white. Quickly mix before the egg cooks, then spread through the rest of the rice. It will take a few minutes for the egg to cook, but the egg will add richness, fluff, and texture you’ll want (like Asian fried rice)
- Let cool and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and avocado slices
- Serve and enjoy! You could also add some hot sauce on top if you need more heat – jalapeno, or chipotle based would pair well
This is great served hot or cold and the flavors will mix well overnight. It makes a great side dish and pairs well with meats and white fish (especially Mahi Mahi).